Monday, September 22, 2008

i forgot some stuff.

So I was washing the dishes just now, cataloguing all the food I've made in the past 3 days (yeah that's right, I haven't done dishes since Friday), and realized I forgot to post about the crabbycakes!
as you can see, i got plenty of beta carotene in this meal

This is the recipe that I usually use for the crabcakes. However, this time I didn't realize that I was out of celery. So I ended up adding way too many other veggies to compensate (is there really such a thing?) and they didn't stick together as well as normal. Oh well, they still tasted good. A couple of tips on that recipe, though:
1. do not put in that extra tsp of salt. unless you enjoy eating food that tastes like the ocean. literally. and this is coming from a salt lover. the Old Bay adds plenty, i promise.
2. freeze your tofu, then thaw, press, and chunk it. the texture ends up more... seafoody? anyway, if you put regular tofu in your food processor like it says, you'll just have a creamy tofu cake, which still tastes good, but could be improved upon.

I served these up with some mashed sweet potatoes and kale. Want a recipe? Sure you do, because they. were. awesome.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Kale

several sweet potatoes, cubed (i used around 9 small ones, or you could use 4 normal sized ones)
small bunch of kale, destemmed and chopped into small pieces
2 shallots, sliced
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbs Earth Balance (or other vegan butter)
splash of soymilk
splash of veggie broth
salt and pepper to taste
oil spray (or 1-2 tsp olive oil)

Start out by covering your cubed potatoes with water, then boiling until tender and mashable. (Again, I do not take the skins off potatoes, but feel free to do this if you like.) This takes about 20 minutes after it boils. Drain potatoes.

In the same pot, spray some oil and saute shallots and garlic over medium heat until barely translucent. Toss in kale and stir around a bit, until the leaves turn a brilliant green. Now splash in your veggie broth (less than 1/4 cup here). This will steam your kale super fast. When it's all nice and wilty, turn off the heat and add the sweet potatoes. Mash em up with the kale, then add the vegan butter and soymilk. Whip up until smooth, then salt and pepper it to taste.

The end result here is sweet, but not super sweet, salty, but not super salty. The kale adds a lovely crunch and actually goes very well with the sweet potatoes. Yum!

This is where I give the finger to kale, because I'm finally figuring out how to trick myself into eating it. I know it's good for me, but I have a hard time eating it, unless properly prepared. So kale with sweet potatoes is good, and kale with beans (from Yellow Rose Recipes) is good. Score!

Wow, two posts in one day. This may just be a record.

2 comments:

jessy said...

the crabbycakes look and sound super yum! thanks for the tips, too! man, i need to buy some old bay and make those! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

hooray for some rock'n kale sweet potato mash! i used to have a hard time with kale myself. i would just kind of force myself to eat it (like i did beets, turnips, and seaweed) 'cause i knew it was good for me - then one day i actually liked it. and craved it! weird! :) took about 4 months of choking it down to get to that point though - i should have tried pairing it with other yummies to make the transition not as crappy! ahahahaaa! ah, the 'ol hind-site. glorious...

i'm totally gonna put some kale in my quesadillas on wednesday. we're making black bean & sweet potato quesadillas and i think some kale is in order! superw00t!

shallots = <3

yay!

allularpunk said...

i was looking at a recipe for black bean and sweet potato burritos earlier. kale would be AWESOME in them. and yeah, i've just recently discovered shallots. they are yum.