Monday, January 12, 2009

I need...

...to go grocery shopping.  The food you are about to see was eaten before this dilemna.  On Friday, we ordered pizza (gift card, thank goodness).  Saturday?  Spaghetti.  Oh, and Sunday...nachos.  Nothing special.  Still, here's a couple of dins that weren't quite so heinous.
soup n springrolls

That's the Hot and Sour Soup from Vcon with leeks and green cabbage subbed in for the cabbage it calls for...can't remember if it asks for napa cabbage or baby bok choy (which is sort of like cabbage, right?).  Anyway, it was yummy.  I had an inspiration for some spring rolls, since we finally had carrots, lettuce, scallions, and mint in the house at the same time.  To round them out, I made some tempeh to go in them from this recipe on Vegan Dad.  It was the perfect addition. 

I love mint in spring rolls...not only does it taste fabulous and fresh, but it reminds me of New York and the spring rolls Michael and I got at Saigon 88.  I can't find a website for them (which doesn't really surprise me), but it's yumtastic Vietnamese food at a decent price with a good sprinkling of vegan options (basil tofu steak what!).  So anyway, here's the story with MY spring rolls:  they fell apart because I insisted on cooking them potsticker-style.  Dumb.  They disentegrated pretty much immediately.  Whatever, though, so I had to eat them with a fork.  They tasted damn good.
beetabulous

That's a terrible photo.  I have to show it to you though, because that side dish was amazing.  First off, that's a nature burger (fantastic brand) in the background.  It was good, but unremarkable.  The star of this show was that lovely mound of roasted beets and carrots with caramelized red onions and steamed beet greens.  Oh yes.  OH.  YES.  You may have the recipe, but it's pretty simple.

Roasted Beets n Greens with Carrots and Red Onions  (title too long?)

3 large beets, with greens
3 carrots
1/2 red onion, sliced into thin half-moons
olive oil
2-3 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or more, to taste)
lots of salt

Preheat your oven to 450F.  Wash the beets and trim off the greens (set greens aside).  Cut the carrots in half, and put both the carrots and the beets on a rimmed cookie sheet with a half inch or so of water.  Put the whole shebang in the oven and leave it for a good 45-50 minutes.  While that's going on, cut the greens into thin ribbons (about 1 inch wide) and prep the onions.  Wash the greens very well and don't dry them.  Once the beets are done, you can go ahead and try peeling them by hand (something I've never been able to accomplish) or cut the skins off with a giant knife (my preferred method).  Once you get the skins off, slice them into thin circles.  Cut up the carrots too, lengthwise, so you have nice long slices.  Heat up your olive oil in a medium-large skillet and start sauteeing the onions (med-low heat), until they get brownish.  Be patient.  The  brownish-er they get, the sweeter they will be.  Anywho, when you think they're brown enough, add your beets and carrots and the vinegar.  Stir to combine.  Add the greens and cover the pan (the water left on the greens should be enough to steam them).  After about 5 minutes, stir them in.  Once they are nicely wilted, add salt to taste (I added a bunch, because I think it tastes better that way with the vineger - think salt n vinegar chips here).  That's it.  Enjoy!

So rooty and sweet and vinegary (in a good way).  The greens, especially, were delightful.  Delightful?  Sure.  Why not.  So...that's it until I either have a stroke of some genius or I get paid and go shopping.  I've been trying really hard to not go shopping in between shopping trips and have succeeded well enough that I don't really have any produce left in the house.  

Back to watching The Devil Wears Prada!

18 comments:

Amira said...

yum, all your eats look scrumptious i specially love the look of those springrolls!
Have fun watching devil wear prada (p.s i love that movie, meryl streep is so awesome in it!!)

Marni said...

Oooo ... spring rolls. Now those look and sound fab.

I need to grocery shop, too. I'm totally putting it off. It's kinda fun to see how long you can go between trips. Er, that's my story. Either way, I'm stickin' to it! :)

Liz said...

wowza. Those beets sound so good! And topped with vinegar- That makes them sound even better.

Gina said...

Your spring rolls look so yummy! I'm always wary of wrapping things, I don't know why. I guess it just seems like another step. Hm...that's a silly reason, haha.

I almost always make my greens with vinegar, the only way to go!!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

your soup & spring rolls look awesome.

I need to go food shopping too!!

Anonymous said...

I love spring rolls! I am totally going to make that roasted beet recipe (once I buy some beets...). I really want to try to work them into our rotation, but sometimes it's hard to think of new recipes!

Virginia said...

would you believe i have never tasted a beet? sounds delicious though!

Jes said...

I feel you on the food shopping thing--but the spring rolls and soup and beats look great!

Anonymous said...

ooo yummy! I've been wanting to make some kind of psring rolls ebcause I have super been in the mood for them. WHat kind of outside coating is that on them? I don't believe I have ever seen that

Alicia said...

I've always bought cooked beets because I wasn't completely sure how to cook them (and how to peel them), so... thanks!

VeganCowGirl said...

Everything looks great - beets are wicked yummy aren't they? Yours look amazing. I totally dig mint in spring rolls too. yum yum

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Your spring rolls. Total restaurant quality.
By the way, all the toys on my blog are property of my husband.

jessy said...

sweet shit! i really need to get on the beet greens wagon! for the love of everything that is awesome will the produce people at my grocery store STOP CUTTING OFF THE GREENS! ARRRGH!!!!!! it kills me! when i find non-naked beets i'm totally trying out your recipe! might i say that the photo = retro/trippy/fun! i quite like it!

i wouldn't have thought to put mint OR tempeh in a spring roll. freak'n brilliant, Jessica! nice touch! now i need to find me some mint! actually, i think some grows out at my parents house in the spring - i'm gonna take a bunch & try it out! mmmmmmmmm!

pizza, NACHOS, and spaghetti sound pretty damn rock'n to me! i think a weekend full of 'em would be the best ever! jealousface!

Anonymous said...

The Devil Wears Prada = Amazing movie! I saw it the other night too.

Anonymous said...

As long as it tastes good, I wouldn't mind eating semi-exploded spring rolls with my hands still, and they do sound delicious!

Vegan_Noodle said...

How funny, I think I was watching the Devil Wears Prada on TV last Monday too! I even think I may have been eating beets!

Your spring rolls look awesome... reminds me that I need to make some!

Lovlie said...

The spring rolls looks delish! Just found your blog btw. Will come back to read more!

Anonymous said...

If you're using rice paper wraps, you aren't supposed to cook them. Just soak them in tepid water for a few minutes until the pattern goes away, and roll them up and eat them.

Cooking them will disintegrate them.