Wednesday, October 14, 2009

failing at vegan mofo

It's cold outside. We are scraping by on very little money this month. Not many groceries (ok, zero groceries) have been bought. This is all I want to eat:
chowdah

But we're out of tofu and mushrooms. That's another version of the manhattan style chowder from the idiot cookbook, by the way. We didn't have spinach, so we added (the last of our) frozen green beans. There's also some cubed silken tofu in there and some (bargain bin) shiitake mushrooms.

It's just been a lazy fall around here so far. We need to get motivated to be more creative. I guess I'm just pouty because I've gotten 3 new cookbooks in the last couple months (Vegan Brunch, Everyday Vegan, and Urban Vegan), and can't make pretty much anything in them since I can't go on a huge grocery binge. Bummer!

Oh, ok, Woe is me, I know. Hopefully I'll get out of my funk and have something good to post soon. Complaining gets me nowhere!

12 comments:

radioactivegan said...

I can relate to the lack of groceries. I've been trying to eat out of my cupboard/fridge and am down to some of the really weird stuff ... good luck!

Debra said...

It looks lovely! yummy!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I'm totally broke this month too, i hate not being able to go out and spend it up in the supermarket!! nothing sadder than an empty fridge!

on the bright side, your soup looks pretty freakin rad!

aTxVegn said...

I think the chowdah looks wonderful. Sometimes lack of money leads to some rather creative meals!

Jes said...

((hugs)) for the cooking funk--it'll pass. And money will come...some day. Or that's what I keep telling myself... :)

vegan.in.brighton said...

I know exactly how you feel, I've bought some new cookbooks recently but I can't afford to buy all the things to make the recipes I want to try.

T said...

Being broke sucks, but sometimes it brings out some creativity too! Or you end up eating condiment sandwiches, like yours truly... good luck!

Unknown said...

I'd eat that chowdah anyday!

Erin said...

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time! Eating on the cheap can feel like it sucks, but hopefully you can get creative with it!

Megan said...

That chowdah looks pretty friggin' tasty, I must say.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ah, pantry cooking, we've all been there! That chowder looks great!